If you are a wine lover, you will definitely enjoy making this banana wine recipe at home. Banana wine has a sweet aroma with light fruit flavor, honey colour, and an amazing taste. Bananas are loaded with sweetness, and this makes bananas perfect for winemaking.
Banana wine has a rich cultural significance and has a long history in the Philippines, South India, Central America, and East Africa. Most people are confused with banana wine and banana beer, they are both different beverage.
As banana wine is only available in small scale home production, many people have been experimenting, hence the recipe differs from place to place.
How Banana Wine Differs from Other Wines?
Wondering what does banana wine taste like or how to make it. The technique used in making it makes it different from other wines, as the bananas don’t easily extract the juice and other vital substances required for winemaking. It takes nearly 2 ½ months for the fermentation to take place.
Health Benefits of Banana Wine
- Bananas contain potassium which is good for the heart and brain, also regulates blood pressure.
- The natural sugar in bananas helps in increasing energy levels instantly.
- Bananas are a good source of fiber and help in improving the digestive system.
- It also reduces the chances of stroke risk, anemia, ulcers, and diarrhea.
Banana wine is considered more as a health tonic and it also helps you to control blood pressure and aids digestion. This wine is loaded with potassium, manganese, and vitamins, hence perfect for health-conscious people.
Banana Wine Recipe
Here is how you can make banana wine at home!
- 2kg Banana
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 4L water
- 1kg brown sugar
- 1 cup tea
- 1 Lemon
- 100g Raisins
- Peel the skin of all the bananas and cut them into small pieces
- In a big pan, add water and bananas, and boil on a low flame
- Keep stirring at regular intervals and bring it to boil
- Add raisins, tea, and lemon juice to the mixture, and bring it to boil, and remove from heat
- Add brown sugar and mix it well, keep aside and let it cool at room temperature
- In a small tumbler pour a bit of water and add yeast and sugar
- Mix it well close the container with lid, and put it aside
- In a jar add the yeast and banana mixture and cover the jar with a lid
- Let it sit in a warm place for 15 days
- In every few days give the mixture a quick stir
- Store your wine in sterilized bottles and close the bottle tightly
- Keep it in a cool and dark place for 2 months and do not touch the wine so that it can reach a good alcohol volume
Check out the video for better illustration.